[El] RHEL5: Problem with Qgis 1.6.0 and some python-dependant plugins

Mauricio Zambrano mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Mar 28 09:06:26 EDT 2011

Dear list,

While trying to install the '1-band raster Colour Table v1.x' plugin for
Qgis 1.6.0, I got the following error message:

"You need to install the following python module in order to enable it:
numpy"

but I already had the 'numpy' library installed on my system, along with
both python 2.4 and python 2.6.

This problem is reported, with as much detail as I could, in the
following thread:

http://forum.qgis.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8214.

About my Qgis version:

qgis-python-1.6.0-3_0.el5.elgis.i386 : Python integration and plugins
for Quantum GIS
Repo        : elgis-plus-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/qgis

qgis-1.6.0-3_0.el5.elgis.i386 : A user friendly Open Source Geographic
Information System
Repo        : elgis-plus-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/qgis
Other       : qgis = 1.6.0-3_0.el5.elgis
Filename    : /usr/share/qgis
Filename    : /usr/lib/qgis

qgis-1.6.0-3_0.el5.elgis.i386 : A user friendly Open Source Geographic
Information System
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/qgis

After a while, I realised that the real problem was that some Qgis
plugins only detect python 2.4 and its associated libraries.

For example, this morning the IT manager of my unit installed numpy for
the python2.6 version of my system (at that moment I realised that numpy
needs to be installed for each python version present in the system),
and the numpy error message (at the beginning of this e-mail)
disappeared.

However, I got this new error message:

"You need to install the following python module in order to enable it:
osgeo"

and in another thread
(http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2008-August/017923.html)
somebody guessed that the problem was that the "path where gdal library
was installed is not available to loader"

and suggested trying this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/libgdal.so

I tried it, but I'm still getting the same error.

Here is the messages that I got form the console while launching Qgis:

$ qgis&
[1] 25819
$ Python support ENABLED :-)
Loaded : __error__ (package: bcccoltbl1)
Loaded : manageR (package: manageR)
Loaded : SRTM elevation importer for Qgis (package: qgissrtm)
Loaded : Elevation (package: elevation)
Loaded : Value Tool (package: valuetool)
Loaded : Geoprocessing (package: geoprocessing)
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/qgis/utils.py:279: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  mod = _builtin_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, level)
Loaded : fTools (package: fTools)
Loaded : Watermark Plugin (package: watermark)
Loaded : EasyPrint (package: easyprint)
Loaded : TopoColour (package: topocolour)
Loaded : DumpLoadField (package: dumpfield)
Loaded : Plugin Installer (package: plugin_installer)
Warning: QHttp: empty path requested is invalid -- using '/'

About my libgdal.so:

$sudo yum provides *libgdal.so
[sudo] password for zambrhe:
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
gdal-devel-1.7.2-5_0.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : elgis
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.7.3-3_0.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : elgis-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.7.2-5_2.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : elgis-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.7.2-5_1.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : elgis-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.7.3-1_0.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : elgis-testing
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

ogdi-3.2.0-0.12.beta2.el5.i386 : Open Geographic Datastore Interface
Repo        : epel
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/ogdi/libgdal.so
Other       : libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.4.2-4.el5.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file format
                            : library
Repo        : epel
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

ogdi-3.2.0-0.12.beta2.el5.i386 : Open Geographic Datastore Interface
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/ogdi/libgdal.so
Other       : libgdal.so

gdal-devel-1.7.3-3_0.el5.elgis.i386 : Development Libraries for the GDAL file
                                    : format library
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/lib/libgdal.so

I would really appreciate any help about how to make Qgis may install the
'1-band raster Colour Table v1.x' plugin, or how to make that Qgis may detect
the gdal version of my system.

Thanks in advance,

Mauricio

FLOODS Action
Land Management and Natural Hazards Unit
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
European Commission, Joint Research Centre
work-phone : (+39)-(0332)-789588
work-fax   : (+39)-(0332)-786653
DISCLAIMER:
"The views expressed are purely those of the writer
and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating
an official position of the European Commission."
Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469