[El] RHEL5: Problem with Qgis 1.6.0 and some python-dependant plugins

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Mar 31 04:10:44 EDT 2011

>> THen, a week
>> later some new plugin for QGIS will come out, which needs another new
>> python package which will also not be available... I'm not sure the
>> effort would be worth it. RHEL 6 is now what people will be using for
>> desktops, with SL-6 already out, and CentOS-6 probably quite near...
>
> I fully agree.

I agree with Micha's analysis as well (you know how long I fought to
get QGIS with at least some Python support...), but I'd like to add a
different perspective:

There is a great and lively ecosystem around QGIS with all these plugins.
But for me QGIS is before all a simple, pretty stable and pretty fast
QGIS viewer/digitalizer for shapefiles, PostGIS and simple raster
types.
I think that it is worth having it on EL 5, even if without all the
latest plugins, so that you know you can always open a GIS file or
connect to a PostGIS database.