[ELGIS] Next steps on ELGIS 6

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Tue Nov 1 06:16:06 EDT 2011

> Are we sure that SL6 will keep binary compatibility with RHEL 6? CentOS is
> committed to this even tho' as you say they have been slow lately getting

A current discussion on the CentOS mailing list seems to imply that
there is indeed binary compatibility issues with Scientific Linux:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-November/119242.html

In this example, a third-party provider built packages on SL 6 and
they were incompatible with RHEL and CentOS.
This means that this could happen to our packages.

On the other hand, with the current state of CentOS we don't have a
clear target against which to build: should we build with CentOS 6.0
with the CR repository enabled?

I'm still investigating the pro and cons of various solutions, because
it is probably worth taking such decisions carefully.
Meanwhile if something urgent is needed, let it know on the list and
I'll build it on the current (CentOS 6.0 platform).

Cheers,

Mathieu