[ELGIS] Untangling pgdg postgresql90 from Centos and ELGIS

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Wed Oct 5 08:17:23 EDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 01:30 AM, Bill Thoen wrote:
Hi Bill
> Not knowing what I was doing several months ago I installed the pgdg90
> repository, because I wanted to get version 9.0 of podstgres. It
> seemed to work; there were no problems. But now I've got all kinds of
> compatibility problems as I find out that elgis and pgdg90 really
> aren't compatible. So I 've got to do something about this now.

Is there any particular feature in PostgreSQL 9.0 you really need? Is
8.4 an option for you?
(...)
> Then it occurred to me that maybe I should ask for advice before doing
> any (more) damage. What do you all recommend I do to  get back to
> PostgreSQL 8.4 and make ELGIS the primary source for postgres again?
>
> Thanks in advance; I really appreciate all your help!

Otherwise it would save you some head aches not to rely on yet another
repo which has many packages in common with ELGIS. We are running a
discrete number of server with CentOS 5 and the postgresql84 packages
and they run without any flaws.

Peter