[ELGIS] Next steps on ELGIS 6

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Tue Oct 18 06:39:57 EDT 2011

> Are we sure that SL6 will keep binary compatibility with RHEL 6? CentOS is
> committed to this even tho' as you say they have been slow lately getting

CentOS is indeed slower because they strive to maintain strict binary
compatibility.
The goal is to support RHEL, CentOS and Scientific Linux, so in the
unlikely case where something is working on SL and not on CentOS we
would fix it.

We talked here about the build system. Ideally we should build on RHEL
to have strict binary compatibility and guaranteed releases.
As long as we don't work with the original it seems to me that
currently SL is more reliable.

The current ELGIS6 packages are built on CentOS with the continuous
release repo (cr) enabled.
I'm not very comfortable with the undeterministic state of this configuration.
I'd prefer to say "we build against the latest SL 6.1".

This is an important choice, so completely up for discussion.
Feel free to add you thoughts.