[ELGIS] Fwd: libtiff4

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Tue Dec 4 23:53:27 PST 2012

>> I think you do need to create a libgeotiff4 that uses libtiff4.  I can
>> still use gdal, but it won't create BigTIFFs so I assume it is using
>> libgeotiff-1.3.0, which is still using libtiff-3.9.4.  Will you also
>> need to recompile all of the applications to use libgeotiff4?
>
> Yes, you need to recompile libgeotiff. The same holds true for the
> applications. Personally, I did this for GDAL and MapServer. libtiff4
> together with libjpeg-turbo gave us a very powerfull soution for raster
> data, competing with ECW in terms of speed and space efficiency.

Then should we say that our stack doesn't use base libtiff but libtiff4?

This would be a significant fork from EPEL (but not from Fedora actually).
I am not too keen to maintain two GDALs, MapServers, etc.

What about PostGIS 2.0?
Since it manages rasters as well I guess it depends on libtiff/geotiff
as well? Doesn't it?