[ELGIS] Issue GDAL with JPEG-compressed TIFFS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Feb 5 17:20:54 EST 2012

Peter,

We may want to look at the rationale of compressing a tiff via jpeg.

The reason that many people use the tiff format is because that want a loss-less data format.

When we introduce the jpeg compression, we introduce a 'lossy' compression algorithm that corrupts the source data.

If you're just after good compression and don't care about losing some of the integrity of the data for performance and visualisation reasons, I'd suggest just compressing the data to a format that uses wavelet compression, e.g. Ecw or perhaps jpeg2000. I personally find ecw to be very good for this purpose.

Bruce