[ELGIS] How to enable BigTiff on Centos 6?

David Strom dstrom at ciesin.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 24 13:21:21 PDT 2014

My colleagues are getting the error, ERROR 6 ...
image would be larger than 4GB ...
... and BigTIFF is unavailable..

 From within grass (GRASS GIS 6.4.2).

Centos 6.4 on this system, and the following installed from elgis
repository, etc.:

grass.x86_64           6.4.2-8.el6      @elgis
grass-libs.x86_64      6.4.2-8.el6      @elgis

gdal.x86_64            1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis
gdal-devel.x86_64      1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis
gdal-java.x86_64       1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis
gdal-libs.x86_64       1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis
gdal-perl.x86_64       1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis
gdal-python.x86_64     1.9.2-4.el6      @elgis

libtiff.x86_64         3.9.4-9.el6_3
@anaconda-CentOS-201303020151.x86_64/6.4
libtiff-devel.x86_64   3.9.4-9.el6_3    @base

Odd thing is, we have an Ubuntu 12.0.4 system with slightly older
versions, it has no problem with large GeoTIFFs.

Do I just need some additional package(s), or is the gdal/grass/libtiff
build lacking the capability, so I need to build my own, which I'm
trying to avoid, as this is not my specialty.

I did try installing libtiff4, no improvement.

TIA, for any help from anyone.
--
Dave