[EU] Chapter creation as NGO

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Wed Jan 11 01:55:45 PST 2017

Hi,

I see Belgium is on the list ...
I can help from Belgium, apparantly on the list ...
I can even ask someone who has an address in Brussels and is also
hosting OSGeo Belgium for this reason, if he agree's to host the EU
local chapter.

I know the rules in Belgium a bit, and the law is becoming more severe
for organisations mis-using this non-for-profit structure to hide some
business activities and misusing money. But in case of OSGeo, I don't
see any problem, as this is a real non-for-profit organisation.

I think that in this case it can be interesting to have a legal entity
(non-for-profit).

I can re-use the by-laws from OSGeo.Be (which are a french translation
from the OSGeo.org by laws, and adapted for Belgium law.

Can we make a list on the wiki who want's to be a in the official
document to create a legal structure? I will need the full identity
data, but will ask for that in a seperate mail.

I think we need as a minimum 3 founding members.

Dirk

On 11-01-17 10:43, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems to me that many European or even global societies organize
>> themselves in European tax havens, which include Switzerland, Luxemburg,
>> Belgium, Austria, etc (this is a partial list from wikipedia).
>>
>> In Finland we have the local committee as a legal society, which is tax free
>> as long as we don't do anything that looks like business to the tax
>> collector. Collecting money for activities and even paying salaries is
>> usually ok. We don't have to report to the tax collector unless we do
>> business - but what is business is again somewhat fuzzy.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ari
>>

> Hi Ari,
>
> Good to know! Why do we want tax heavens if it is not for good things
> like this? :)
>
> So, is someone on some friendlier country wanting to step forward for
> this? I can help from here, but I guess we need at least someone
> officially living on the country we want to set up the association.
>
> María.

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne
CEO @geosparc