[EU] Strategy on EU lobbying

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 05:10:19 PDT 2017

Hi,

I had the privilege to meet one of the referent lawyers in EU (and
Spain) about free software and open data last Friday:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_de_la_Cueva (the spanish page has
more details)

I told him about our idea of trying to lobby on Europe to move towards
a better environment for free software and he gave me a lot of good
ideas on the strategy to follow. It was a "free consultancy" between
beers so I didn't took notes as it may seem rude, but we can go back
to him if we need. This is a field he has worked on before and in like
ten minutes he gave me a complete strategy without any obvious
failures.

The idea was to base our argument on scientific projects like H2020 or
similar, which requires all outputs to be freely available (open
access, no patents that may prevent further research, etc...). So, how
can you be able to provide free outputs if some pieces in the project
are closed or not completely open? Scientific research should be
replicable and you should be able to debug it completely on a way you
need even the source code, not only the protocols involved.

I am not a lawyer, he told this with beautiful wording and mentioned
several laws and stuff. But it is a start for a strategy.

Cheers,
María.