[Europe] FOSS4G Europe 2021 - a call for community involvement

Hans Gregers Hedegaard Petersen gregers at septima.dk
Thu Jan 21 11:45:31 PST 2021

Dear Peteris

As sad as the message is, it is responsible, natural, understandable, and
in good time.
I had looked forward to seeing all in Latvia, now I am hopeful that I might
get to see my own colleagues before summer...

Thanks for your time and work on the conference, and thank you for
cancelling in good time for a digital alternative to be arranged.

Best

Greg

tor. 21. jan. 2021 kl. 20.40 skrev Pēteris Brūns <pb at sungis.lv>:

> Dear all,
>
> I am writing to you all as chair of the FOSS4G Europe 2020 Conference,
> which was postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, in the hope that
> 2021 will be different. Following all the processes here in Latvia, taking
> into account the recommendations of local partners, looking at ourselves
> and our plans for the coming year, then it can be formulated - if we are
> responsible for ourselves and others, we do not plan trips to other
> countries and try to avoid activities that can endanger ourselves and
> others.
>
> After today's discussions with partners from other countries, we have
> decided not to hold a face-to-face conference as we had initially hoped. I
> therefore call on the community to consider the possibilities and readiness
> to organise FOSS4G Europe 2021 as a remote conference.
>
> With this announcement I would step back from the chair role of the
> conference. I'm ready to support, help and join in the process of
> organisation, but not steer.
>
> Thank you for your trust, for helping to organise an event that was not
> destined to take place.
>
> p.s. If surprising conditions will allow, then we consider organise a spot
> in Valmiera for face-to-face meetings and work in parallel of remote
> conference.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Pēteris Brūns