ConnectionString property

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Dec 15 19:11:46 EST 2006

Hi,

I'd like to ask for explanation of how to handle connection
string in RDBI properly.

The DbiConnection::Open checks if there is ConnectionString set and
calls rdbi_connect passing the connection string + username + password.
If ConnectionString is not set, the DataSource property is passed
instead.

I'm testing the PostGIS provider with both approaches and
the latter works, but the former doesn't for me.
What's interesting, MySQL provider also doesn't work with the
ConnectionString property.

Here is my full string I use to connect to a particular database:

ConnectionString=fdo_test at localhost;username=mloskot;password=pantera;

Ideally, DbiConnection::Open() should pass these params to
rdbi_connect() which in turn delegates call with the same params to
postgis_connect() from my RDBI driver.

Unfortunately, FdoRdbmsConnection::Open() refuses this connection
string, after parsing step and during validation steps,
and throws an exception with following message:

"Invalid connection property name' connectionstring'"

I don't understand why parser.HasInvalidProperties() detects
ConnectionString as invalid property.
This property is defined in FdoRdbmsConnectionpropertyDictionary.h
as FDO_RDBMS_CONNECTION_CONNSTRING.

Could anyone explain me why this problem occurs?

Generally, I need to pass database + hostname name to
rdbi_connect() function.

Thanks in advance.