[fdo-dev] SHP build broken in trunk

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Thu Nov 9 13:41:10 EST 2006

Hi All,

I would like to provide some background on the decision made to branch
the fdo code into a 3.2.x branch.

The Autodesk fdo team decided to branch the various fdo Subversion
repositories into 3.2.x streams for an upcoming release of Autodesk Map
scheduled for the April 2007 timeframe. We decided to branch early in
October based on the fact that the Map release process requires fairly
strict control over code submissions that go into the Map release once
an agreed on date has been reached. Basically, all code submissions made
to the Map code base have to be acceptable to the Map team and be
verifiable by the Map Quality Assurance processes. It was our opinion
that restricting code submissions to the Subversion trunk to those
defects verifiable and acceptable to the Map team from October until
April was too restrictive. Therefore the 3.2.x branch was created. We
also identified the fact that submissions to the 3.2.x branch were
valuable and useful to other fdo clients, therefore we implemented a
process of porting all code dropped in the branch back to the trunk. In
this manner, it was our objective that the trunk remain open to general
submissions from the non-Map client community.

Saying all that, this was the first branch and the first attempt at an
integration of an OSGeo Subversion release into the Autodesk Map
product. The PSC is still refining its processes and working on learning
from the experiences of the general fdo community. I am sure that once
Map ships in April we will have learned many lessons, from all parties
involved, that will influence the release/maintenance processes. To that
effect, the PSC has created an fdo process document and will be
tailoring that document with feedback from the community.

The PSC looks forward to hearing from all parties on their experiences
with fdo and working with all clients to improve our processes.