[fdo-internals] Why tarballs are so huge ?

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Thu Aug 23 10:34:32 EDT 2007

Another thing in this vein is the directory structure in the vault. The www directory is not necessary for development and getting it (many thousands of files) always takes a huge chunk of time. MapGuide has a better structure where all the sources are in a single directory alongside www so that one can map svn directly to the directory (MgDev) rather than trunk itself, thus skipping the www directory.

One might argue that you only need to get that once, but I get clean source often enough for this to be a problem for me (I sometimes pay for overuse of bandwidth at home) and also, clogging my file system with thousands of unnecessary files.

The same can be said for all the unit test files in the vault, which are interspersed in between code.

Traian