[fdo-internals] Coordinate system support for FDO

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Wed Dec 19 05:05:08 EST 2007

I'll try to explain how it's done in SharpMap and it's NTS (JTS-port)
implementation, so you may come to less troublesome solution. There's
utility set of classes CoordinateSystems exposing similar functionality to
what I expect of Mentor library. Among other related types (datums,
projections...), there's also a CoordinateReferenceSystem one.

Now, GeometryFactory optionally receives a CRS object to deal with - any
geometry created by the factory gets transformed using given CRS definition
(if any) if it differs from generic one, set via feature store. It seems
that FDO GeometryFactory needs a coordinate "pre-processor" and
"post-processor"
engines at core level (not a provider level) which performs actual
coordinate transformation. In other words - CRS engine resides as a utility
set of classes, but gets implemented (in one way or another) via Geometry
Factory. It's implementation is similar to precision engine's. One more tip
- any geometry created by the factory should carry SRID (Spatial Reference
System ID) info based on source CRS, if any (SRID can be EPSG identifier or
whatever proposed by Mentor).

IMHO it should be seamless to providers, I don't expect them to mangle with
CRS stuff since it's far from trivial.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic