[fdo-internals] PSC: Interesting Conundrum

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jan 16 14:07:06 EST 2007

Robert Bray wrote:
> So we have a couple of choices:
>
>    1. Merge the SVN repositories into one. This can be done without
>       losing any history, and from what I read it would be possible to
>       either have branches on a per provider basis (like we do now) or a
>       single branch across all of FDO. That later is more work but might
>       be cleaner long term if we take this approach.

I second this option.

Also, I'd suggest to consider if it would be reasonable to flatten the
directories layout:

trunk\fdocore
trunk\fdordbms
trunk\fdoshp

instead of keeping Providers deep in the structure, under:
trunk\fdocore\Providers\...
or
trunk\fdocore
trunk\Providers\...

Personally, I keep FDO stuff following the proposed structure and
it works for me better than checkouting provider into the fdocore
tree, to Providers directory.

Also, I can confirm branching will be as easy as it's now.
Simply, in SVN branches or tags can be created for any
subtree of the repo.