[fdo-internals] problem with 3.2.1: Xerces runConfigure fails

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Jul 11 13:43:07 EDT 2007

Hi, all.
I wanted to report what I suspect to be a build-bug in FDO 3.2.1 Seeing
as the same Xerces version is being used in 3.2.2, I suspect that it
will occur there as well.

Platform: Slamd64 11.0 / that's Slackware for x86_64
Code: FDO 3.2.1, core component only

Symptom:
build_thirdparty.sh fails at GDAL's UnitTest

Making all in UnitTest
make[2]: Entering directory
`/tmp/OpenSource_FDO/Providers/GDAL/Src/UnitTest'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`/tmp/OpenSource_FDO/Utilities/Common/libProvidersCommon.la', needed by
`UnitTest'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/OpenSource_FDO/Providers/GDAL/Src/UnitTest'

Looking further back, I see that there was an earlier failure which did
not interrupt the build process: The build of XALAN was unable to link
to xerces-c. In fact, xerces-c did not even try to compile.

Workaround:

Manually run Xerces' configure:
( cd Thirdparty/apache/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc ; ./configure )

Then continue with
./build_thirdparty.sh

Analysis:

If I cd Thirdparty/apache/xml-xerces/c/src/xercesc
and then run "./runConfigure -p linux" I simply get the
usage message teling me what flags runConfigure takes. This is odd,
since I know that's the right syntax; maybe it's a bug in their
runConfigure script itself?

Proposed solutions:

The ThirdParty/apache/build script should be modified to properly call
Xerces's runConfigure or configure with the appropriate flags.

build_thirdparty.sh should bail when XALAN or Xerces fails to compile.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA