[fdo-internals] FDO 3.3 compatible MrSID and ECW Plugins

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 25 14:49:32 EST 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> Please let me know ASAP when the 1.4.4 build is available.

Folks,

I have prepared new plugins based on the GDAL 1.4.4 RC1 source.

   http://home.gdal.org/dl/gdal14_vc8/ecw_plugin_gdal14_vc8.zip
   http://home.gdal.org/dl/gdal14_vc8/mrsid_plugin_gdal14_vc8.zip

Once again I failed to use them with the gdal14.dll that was distributed
in the fdo sdk.  I don't understand why - I just got a funky error popup
with a long hex code on it - no apparent missing entry points or anything.
This is even after I pulled in oci.dll.  depends.exe did not provide any
help on what might be going wrong.  It is exactly these sorts of inexplicable
problems that scare the hell out of me about VC8.  It seems there is a whole
new layer of DLL magic involved (manifests, etc) and now I am helpless trying
to figure out why things don't work.

I'd appreciate folks trying the above plugins.  The whole VC8 build SDK is
available at:

   http://home.gdal.org/dl/gdal14_vc8/gdal144_vc8_sdk.zip

though this should not in theory be needed.

If all goes well, I believe this release candidate will become the official
release on Tuesday.  In any event I hope the plugin will be useful.