[fdo-internals] FDO Provenance Review

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Oct 23 21:03:43 EDT 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> I agree that including the Raster Test Data from unknown sources in the
> distribution file is improper. Maybe we can come up with alternate test
> data from known sources to replace the files in question....

Greg,

As I've observed, this is not only FDO problem but it's more general
and other OSGeo projects have to deal with it.
Collecting good test data sets based on public geodata is not easy.
So, perhaps it would make sense to build common test data repository for
all OSGeo projects.

I see following advantages:

1. Joining efforts will make it easier to collect data
2. Benefits to OSGeo projects
3. Common test data repository could safe a lot of hard disk space
4. Potentially comparable tests results across projects