[fdo-internals] Vote: FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Apr 1 12:17:27 EDT 2008

Yeah, you're too late :)

For me the most important part of this RFC is the creation of a format
that is single file, open, and can be easily shared between open source
applications.  This includes things like being able to take advantage of
standard SQL queries, etc.

The current SDF format is not documented, and it is my (possibly
mistaken) understanding that it uses an FDO structure for metadata
rather than the OGC SFSQL metadata tables.  Maybe I'm confusing provider
with format here, but if the SDF provider is reading non-SDF files... ?

If the SDF provider was re-purposed for this non-SDF format, would it
still be able to handle native SQLite queries?  Would it be able to
achieve the raw speed that was (I think) Traian's main motivation for
pursuing this provider?  Would it allow SelectOrdering and
SelectGrouping? (OK, that last one was gratuitous - but it's a pain
point for me)