[fdo-internals] Vote: FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Apr 1 15:42:55 EDT 2008

I don't see any problem SDF being "the" reference implementation of FDO
(though it certainly has some deficiencies in this area), and it may be
that SDF could benefit from some of the performance techniques that
Traian is using.  It worries me that a data-agnostic project like FDO
would require that its reference implementation be the fastest or most
widely adopted provider though.  The goals of completeness and
specialization are not always compatible with each other.  I'm guessing
that you've read this:

http://www.databasecolumn.com/2007/09/one-size-fits-all.html

This can easily be extrapolated to spatial data access as well.  A
provider tuned for rapid bounding-box fetches may not necessarily be the
best provider to use for a multi-writer situation.  A provider with a
simple metadata schema may not best reflect the richness of the FDO
schema capabilities.

For me, the new format has a different value proposition than SDF, and I
don't fully accept the argument that if it meets a need that SDF does
not that it will supersede SDF.

I know that performance is Traian's main concern, but what I like most
about this new format is that it is easily adopted by other data access
libraries.  I don't see this same adoption happening with the SDF file
format because it is closely aligned with FDO, is not accessible to the
native SQLite tools, and there is no published specification to work to.
I believe that these interchange points alone are justification for a
new provider / data format.