[fdo-internals] SQLite provider

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun Apr 20 02:20:03 EDT 2008

Cool, these two issues have been resolved, and combined with changing the schema name to Default this has allowed me to port over my SDF layers painlessly (so far anyway) for testing.

I'll see if I can port a bunch more data over and try running entire maps on SQLite in the coming week.

Frank, does the current FWTools contain the work you did to add geometry columns and FGF support to the SQLite driver?  If so, I'll convert my SDF->SHP and then use FWTools to write out SQLite data and see how well the SQLite FDO provider deals with it.  And I'll try using ogr to translate my FGF SQLite databases to SHP.

Playing with this my parcels at full extents made me realize how annoying the AGG renderer's habit of throwing away small objects is.  With GD, zoomed out to the full extents of my parcels I see them all and get a good idea of density, etc.  With AGG, there are gaping white holes in the densest parts of my city.  Guess I have to be careful about scale range and generalization if I'm going to use AGG.  Hmm.  Guess that's a bit off-topic for this list :)

Jason

From: Traian Stanev
Subject: RE: [fdo-internals] SQLite provider

As for the geometry types, you can go into the database using a tool like sqliteman (or the sqlite command line) and change the geometry_columns table to have the correct geometry_type value. Set it to 3 for polygons. There must be some bug in the converter that causes it to default to all geometry types. I'll look into that.

The theme function in Studio is likely doing a Select Distinct. That part has not been well tested, so it's possible you are hitting a bug. I'll look into that as well, but you may want to create tickets and assign them to me, since I forget quickly :).