[fdo-internals] Counting rows in managed IFeatureReader

Orest Halustchak orest.halustchak at autodesk.com
Wed Apr 23 13:02:21 EDT 2008

If the server supports a serializable isolation level, then you can rely on it, but that implies read locks being applied which can impact the operations of other users. Otherwise, in a multi-user update situation, there is always a possibility that data changes between selects. I think SQL Server supports a snapshot type of isolation that doesn't need read locks, but I'm not sure of the overhead of that option.

A question for Maksim for his application is why he needs the count before getting the data rather than knowing it after all the objects have been selected?

Thanks,
Orest.