[fdo-internals] FW: [SAC] Today's administration notes
Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun Dec 7 00:21:56 EST 2008
See below; FYI from the systems admin committee.
Main takeaway (other than the great steps towards SSO that Howard and Martin made) is that the fdo and mapguide SVN repositories are no longer available under the deprecated osgeo.org/svn/reponame address, and must be accessed from svn.osgeo.org/reponame
Howard notes that this could be turned back on temporarily to allow an svn switch --relocate, but hopefully nobody is still using this old access method.
From: sac-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of Howard Butler
Sent: Sat 2008-12-06 1:36 PM
To: System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo
Subject: [SAC] Today's administration notes
I just wanted to give you an update of the things Martin and I did
this afternoon. Big props to Martin for slogging through most of our
LDAP issues. The only outstanding item left is adding the schema to
the users to allow *nix logins. With the big parts in place now, we
hope to do that soon. Please take a look and verify that things are
working properly. We've done some cursory checks, but we may have
missed something. Commits, logins, etc, need to be verified.
Thanks Martin, it was a successful collaboration.
- We combined the virtual hosts that were in the virtual_hosts.conf
placed them in the hosts/ directory. In the end, it was only the
host that was still active in virtual_hosts.conf.
- We removed (commented out) the mapguide2.osgeo.org vhost
- We added an ldap_auth_url.inc file, which is to be included wherever
wish to use LDAP authentication. See the trac or subversion
files for an example
- A consequence of this change is we use the same AuthName everywhere
(AuthName "OSGeo Login"). This includes the subversion hosts.
When you try
to commit a file, it may complain to you about needing to log in
because the AuthName has changed.
- AuthName can be overridden with a subsequent directive if
trac/kidsgis.conf for an example), but we would like to
discourage it. It
adds duplication and negates the "single sign on"-ness of our
- ldap_create_user.py and ldap_search.py have been modified to use
instead of ou=people
- all LDAP entries have been modified to be ou=People instead of
- subversion no longer answers any repositories at ./svn/reponame. As
the changes two years ago, you were notified this was going to go
The only repositories that appeared to still have this were the fdo/
ones that were holdouts of the collabnet transition. If they need
turned on to allow a svn switch --relocate to happen, please let me
- Apache SSL certificates have been moved into /etc/ssl/ and respective
- Group 'ssl-cert' has been added, members are 'ldap' and 'apache'.
- The SSL private key has been made group-readable to 'ssl-cert'.
- Thus, Apache and OpenLDAP are now sharing a common set of SSL keys.
- OpenLDAP ACL's have been set to allow binding as user (highly
recommended wherever possible !!), users are enabled to change their
own password without being required to bind to LDAP as "Manager".
- LDAP access over SSL has been successfully tested from
Sac mailing list
Sac at lists.osgeo.org
More information about the fdo-internals