[fdo-internals] primary key on views for rdbms providers?

Orest Halustchak orest.halustchak at autodesk.com
Tue Jul 8 08:30:10 EDT 2008

Oracle provides a way to specify a pk for a view.

alter view <viewname> add constraint <constraintname> primary key (<columnlist>) disable novalidate;

This pk is not enforced but provides information about what pk makes sense for the data in the view.

I haven't tried this with the king oracle provider to see if it would be recognized.

It's hard to guess a possible pk for a view (in an automated way) unless the view is a simple select from a single table, and the select includes the underlying table's pk columns. If there is a join involved, it's more complicated.

Thanks,
Orest.