[fdo-internals] RFC 20 for review

Thomas Knoell thomas.knoell at autodesk.com
Wed Jul 9 13:19:38 EDT 2008

Hi Harris,

Thanks for the comments.

As for the motivation, currently there is no way to add a new capability to FDO without the need to implement that new capability in all providers that want to use the updated FDO code base. The new interface concept provides the chance to actually do this as capabilities can be added without changing FDO. As a result, only the provider that wants to support the new capability needs to implement the support.

As for the error handling, this is documented in RFC 20. If a user calls a function - for example GetBooleanCapability for a capability that returns an Int32 - the function would set the flag "isUnknown" to true. It is up to the caller to check this flag an react accordingly. For example, the caller could either use a default value that is appropriate in this case or throw an exception. But this is all up to the caller.

Thanks

  Thomas