[fdo-internals] FDO SVN Branches

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 17 14:50:17 EDT 2008

Greg Boone wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After taking to the FDO PSC today, a request has arisen to
> restructure the FDO Braches in SVN for easier maintenance and ongoing
> support.
>
> Here is the plan that was proposed:
>

> 1)      Create a general 3.3 branch that will be the basis for all
> future development for future 3.3.x releases
>
> 2)      Move the code in the existing 3.3.1 branch to the newly
> created 3.3 branch
>
> 3)      Make the 3.3.0 branch a tag'ed build rather than a branch
>
> 4)      When 3.3.1 is released, make 3.3.1 a tag as well
>
> 5)      Submissions to the 3.3 branch will be limited to priority
> defects until 3.3.1 is released
>
> 6)      Code submitted to the trunk will be ported to the 3.3 branch
> on a as-needed basis once 3.3.1 is released

The plan looks good to me.

> NOTE: A tag or a branch in SVN is not a full copy of the source code.

I don't understand it. Technically, branch/tag is a full copy of SVN
tree under location being copied:

svn copy /path/to/trunk /path/to/branches/trunk-copy

where trunk-copy is a full copy of the tree under trunk.

svn copy /path/to/trunk/module /path/to/branches/module-copy

Here, module-copy is a full copy of the tree of trunk/module.

Am I missing anything?

> Thoughts?

The 6 points of the plan are OK.

Greetings