[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Mar 18 14:26:58 EDT 2008

> WKB is not sufficient for that purpose. What is needed here is so
called
> "spatial native format" similar to EWKB (EWKT), binary format used
> natively in MySQL. I think, WKT is out of consideration due to
> performance weakness of analysing plain text data.

Yes, I was thinking of FGF as the natural default format, but also
supporting reading of WKT and WKB from SQLite if it exists (with the
obvious performance penalty).  My reasoning for this is that it would be
easier for existing tools (like SharpMap, see:
http://geobabble.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/extending-sharpmap-with-sqlite
/ ) to support this than to write a separate geometry parser just for
this format.

I like Frank's idea of extending the geometry_columns metadata table to
tag what kind of encoding is used.