[fdo-internals] New RFC 30 Posted

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Mon Nov 24 17:15:02 EST 2008

Yes, such corruption is a possible problem. Hoewever, if your scheme is based on cached (pre-created) PropertyValue objects, then it has the same problem - someone can hold on to the PropertyValue object while it changes from under them. If you want to fix that, you'd have to do some really ugly refcounting hacks.

Besides, there is precedent for allowing corruptible memory - one of the GetGeometry calls in FdoFeatureReader is only guaranteed to hold good data until the next ReadNext call, and callers must be aware of that. This allows providers like SDF and SQLite for example to return pointers directly to database memory, thus avoiding doing even a single copy of the data. This is also how the GetString() calls works.

Traian