[fdo-internals] RFC 26 - New Extended Select command andScrollable Reader - for review

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Oct 20 15:03:13 EDT 2008

I don't have any direct experience with this because MapGuide doesn't
currently doesn't allow access to these commands.  I certainly see value
in making these part of the common feature set though.  Maybe I'll
eventually be able to do sorting on SDF results via MapGuide J

One thing that occurred to me when reading this RFC was that I'd like to
see a mechanism to "page" through results; similar to the LIMIT clause
in MySQL.  When displaying result sets in a web environment, you often
want to give the user a small set of the data, and then page through the
results N records at a time.  I can currently brute-force this, but it
would be more efficient to handle this on the FDO side, especially for
providers where the underlying storage format has optimized methods of
dealing with it.  The current enhancements would make this more
efficient to brute-force, but I wonder if adding parameters to the
initial selection (start record, number of results) would make this even
more efficient.

Jason