[fdo-internals] Creation of FDO 3.3 revision branches to supportAutodesk hotfixes

Robert Fortin robert.fortin at autodesk.com
Fri Sep 26 10:27:15 EDT 2008

Jason,

Let me introduce Dave.  Dave Wilbur is working with a customer support group within Autodesk and he and his team are looking into making hotfixes available to our customers the most efficient way.  We are also concerned that we want these modifications to benefit the entire community and, as you clearly pointed out, show open-ness.

The intent was not to impose Autodesk schedule on the community and maybe the way it was presented lead you to think that it was the case.  But instead, it was trying to communicate our intent with regards to our current and upcoming releases.  Dave also suggesting interesting changes that will help better track the version and build of FDO.  We actually suggested that this be communicated to the community exactly to show open-ness.

As a matter of fact, FDO version 3.3.1 has been released to the community but no branch created for it.  Further work was done in the interest of MG OS and it is done with the intent that this would become 3.3.2.   The intent of publishing this version under 3.3.2 is what is proposed by Dave in order to have a recognizable point release for MG OS community.

As for the hotfix strategy, it is not different than what FDO has been following so far.  Creating 3.X.X branch to hold hotfixes have been done in the past.  It just has the chance of happening more often going forward.  All Dave is proposing is to have new branches that will allow the community (and of course Autodesk! :^) ) to make small modification over a specific release.  That's good news!

I think the community and the FDO PSC is solely responsible for deciding when to create a point release.  As always, Autodesk will suggest when this should happen and the PSC will decide.

The proposal at this point is to publish the build of branches/3.3 (rev 4505) as release 3.3.2 and create branches for 3.3.1 and 3.3.2 (which doesn't exist at the moment).
Does the PSC and the FDO communicaty have any objection against it?

Robert Fortin