[fdo-internals] Use of SQL pass through

Haris Kurtagic haris at sl-king.com
Thu Jun 25 10:09:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

To return FDO class from any SQL will require extra processing from
provider. This processing will in best case add unnecessary overhead to
provider.

My suggestion is to enable application to get info about returned
columns trough feature readers. Same way as non-fdo applications are
doing it right now.

I don't see any advantage in trying to squeeze SQL statement result into
FDO class and I can see many problems there.

Even opposite, I would prefer to optimize FDO commands. Instead trying
to guess what type of SLQ statement application has executed or parsing
current FDO filters it would be better that we would have very simple
"query window of data" type of command in FDO. That is something not
directly related to this RFC but it is direction where I think FDO could
go. Less overhead and simpler commands for most usual  tasks.

Haris