[fdo-internals] RFC42 - Direct ArcSDE Provider :: Ready for Review

Crispin_at_1Spatial crispin.hoult at 1spatial.com
Thu Nov 5 04:19:09 EST 2009

Jackie,

This query is good to help to explain two real-world issues here:

 1) The current implementation is for Oracle only and the SGID DB referenced
in the article is SQL Server - so that's a quick "no"!
Haris and I discussed the various options of providing a generic provider at
length and with the performance required, KingOracle platform in existence,
test data/systems available and the requirements for funding this the
project became an extension to KingOra.  The decoding of the metadata and
the SDE binary geometry *should* be available in the OpenSource submission
to be utilised in other direct providers such as the OSGeo SQLServer
provider.

 2) To enable direct access, the actual underlying host RDBMS credentials
(not ArcSDE server) will be required for an ArcSDE connection.  This
database may sit at a different security level to public services or may be
exposed with different port/username/password.  The SGID DB service exposed
in your sample is only the ArcGIS server details not the database
connection.

Hope this helps - I'll add some more detail to the RFC as this thread
develops.

 Crispin