[fdo-internals] RE: [mapguide-internals] FDO RFC 43 - Standard FDO Class Naming Conventions

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:27:34 EDT 2009

would introducing the concept of a default schema resolve the issue of
multiple
tables having the same name in different schemas? ie GetDefaultSchema()

Sorry about my confusion about the datastore stuff, my FDO experience
is predominately from working with MapGuide which doesn't expose them.

Datastores (databases/instances) also are potentially named differently,
where as a schema tends to be more consistant.

If we introduce datastores into FDO Class names I fear things will become
even more inconsistent. It's easy enough to change the name of a schema,
but renaming a database is a much bigger change.

As I described in the Proposed Test case:
"Expose the Sheboygan dataset via FDO matching the standard conventions"

is all about achieving the goal of making FDO provider agnostic

SQL server does present a challenge here with it's three levels, but it if
it
has schema shouldn't we present them as schema's? well no because then
we will be oft returning dbo which is completely non portable.

--
Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com