[fdo-internals] RE: MOTION: FDO RFC 34 - FDO Reader Access By Index

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 16 15:07:23 EDT 2009

Badreddine Karoui wrote:
> As far as I’m concerned this is not a technical or implementation issue
> but an API issue. What is more readable and predictable API?

Badreddine,

I'm not a heavy user of the FDO API for features, but to me it seems most
predictable if the properties are indexed the same way when working
with the class definition and when fetching values from a feature.

I think it is worth either reworking the RFC proposal to reflect this (if
there is time to implement it this way), or withdraw the RFC until when there
is time to do it properly.  I'd hate to bake-in a requirement for application
code to maintain a property lookup table of it's own.

For what it's worth, I'm -0 on the RFC as written - primarily concerned
about this issue.

I think there has been enough concern expressed on this issue that it would
be prudent to either revise accordingly or defer even though no one has
yet explicitly vetoed.