[mapguide-internals] RE: [fdo-internals] Hosting FDO 3.5 builds / Binaries for CentOS and Ubuntu

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Sat Feb 20 00:03:54 EST 2010

Hi Zac,

To put FDO directly under /usr we would have to modify the build structure.  We currently have

/usr/local/fdo-3.5.0/
   include/
      Common/
      ExpressionEngine/
      Fdo/
      Fdo.h
   lib/
      com/
      libFDO-3.5.0.so
      libExpressionEngine-3.5.0.so

To be compatible with installation under /usr, we would have to generate

/usr/
   include/
      fdo-3.5.0/
         Common/
         ExpressionEngine/
         Fdo/
         Fdo.h
   lib/
      fdo-3.5.0/
         com/
         libFDO-3.5.0.so
         libExpressionEngine-3.5.0.so

In addition, "docs" and "nls" are incompatible with /usr/ so we would have to place these files elsewhere - probably under /usr/share/fdo-3.5.0 and /usr/man/(something).  As far as I know, "nls" contains localized error messages used by the FDO code base so code changes would be required if we move these files around.

Simply changing the build prefix to /usr would give us

/usr/
   fdo-3.5.0/
      include/
      lib/

which is not *really* correct.  If you look at /usr on a Linux distro you will see /usr/kerberos and /usr/X11R6.  These are software packages like FDO.  However, these packages reside under /usr for historical reasons.  New packages should install to directories underneath /usr/include and /usr/lib.

We could create symlinks using a post install script to map /usr/include/fdo-3.5.0 to usr/local/fdo-3.5.0/include and map /usr/lib/fdo-3.5.0 to /usr/local/fdo-3.5.0/lib.  However, we would have to modify all of the current automake/cmake scripts to generate the correct /usr/ structure initially.  This could be a hassle when dealing with a dozen or so providers.

Furthermore, I do not know if symlinks are a perfect replacement for .so files.  For example, some of the Debian/Ubuntu utilities for creating packages get cranky when a symlink is used instead of a real .so.

Eventually, I think we should install under /usr/lib and /usr/include.  However, I think there will be a number of implementation gremlins lurking around that we will have to resolve.  I think the MapGuide and Fdo teams already have enough work on (our) plates just getting automated 32 bit and 64 bit MapGuide and Fdo builds working and packaged over the next few weeks/months.

So yes, we should do this.  But not yet.

Regards,
Trevor