[fdo-internals] Re: FDO 3.5.0 RC1

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Tue Mar 2 10:35:01 EST 2010

I think it's worth having a more general conversation about which of the version strings of a provider is the one that matters:

1. The one returned by FdoIConnectionInfo::GetProviderVersion
2. The stamped into the DLL by stampver
3. The one given by providers.xml <Version> tag
4. The one given by the name of the provider in providers.xml

There are also:

1. the FDO version returned by the provider
2. the FDO version given in the providers.xml entry for the provider
3. the version encoded in the name of the provider in providers.xml

The last three are always kept the same as the first four (apart from the stamp having build number in it perhaps), so one can argue that providers themselves don't have a version -- their version is given by the version of FDO in use.

Also, as far as I know none of those version strings are used in a meaningful way by FDO client applications. Even the version part of the provider name gets slashed off the name of the provider a lot of the time (see for example MapGuide's serverconfig.ini).

Do we need seven places encoding the same version string?

Traian