[fdo-internals] Dropping off PSC

Leaf Li leaf.li at autodesk.com
Tue Nov 2 04:06:37 EDT 2010

I will try to summarize all of my changes to OGR and write one GDAL RFC  document for your review. Actually those are exactly MITAB issues that I met.

1.  As for field type, I have a little different opinions. I found you already write one GDAL RFC to address 64bit integer.
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc31_ogr_64

Why do you think it is a problem to add int16, float, decimal? If the field type is int16, GDAL expose it as int32. It must there are some issue to update filed value with one integer value larger than maximum value of int16. For me, I think the major issue is efforts. I don't know what are exactly your concerns. However, providing some sort of additional hints mechanisms around attribute fields is a good idea.

2. For geometric type, I add curve line, curve polygon, multiple curve polygon. However, I didn't finish it in MITAB and MapInfo FDO Provider. So no surprise that you didn't find the corresponding code. However, I am not sure whether it is really necessary to add it in OGR because FDO supports circular curve only for now.

3. I like to be one contributor of GDAL/OGR. So does Aleck.

4. My biggest concerns is I have to handle all of OGR drivers once I any changes to OGR API. It isn't one trivial task. If I am not busy in next several months, I can finish it using my spare time. Otherwise, I have to check whether Autodesk will provide funding for it.

Thanks,
Leaf Li