[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 54 is ready for review.

Leaf Li leaf.li at autodesk.com
Tue Oct 26 09:12:02 EDT 2010

It is an interesting question. May I use one question to answer your question?

ORG provider already provide read/write access to SHP file. Why do we create a new SHP provider?

I guess you ask this question because MapInfo provider is based on MITAB and MITAB is based on OGR model. So I think I need to explain how MapInfo is based on MITAB in details.

Although MITAB is based on OGR, it is an standalone library and we can modify MITAB and ORG freely in the same time. For example, ORG has limited data types and geometry types. I can extend OGR model so that more data types and geometry types are avaiable in MITAB library. The OGR extend is limited in MITAB library only.

However, it has great impact if I am going to extend OGR library directly. All of OGR driver need to be updated.

Actually data types and geometry types is only one of reasons. For example, we want MapInfo provider supports 64bit and per-connection thread safty. If we modify OGR to support those features, it is huge work because there are lots of OGR drivers.

Thanks,
Leaf Li