[fdo-internals] Dropping off PSC

Leaf Li leaf.li at autodesk.com
Sun Oct 31 09:33:28 EDT 2010

I think there are some misunderstanding here. So I want to highlight some of points.

1. Both Greg and I agree that getting the MITAB changes reviewed and submitted back to the originating SVN depot is a good idea.

In Greg and my email, we both think non-fork strategy is a good thing. In my email, I introduced the issues of MITAB that I met when I try to implement MapInfo FDO Provider. So my points of view is to change MITAB directly for now in order to implement one powerful MapInfo FDO provider. It is my point of view. You can agree and disagree with it. However, the issues of MITAB that I met are true.

So my points is the more important thing for now is how to resolve those issues.

2. MapInfo FDO provider was developed by me and Aleck, and did not correspond to an Autodesk high-level initiative.

Greg already mentioned it. I want to add more.

MapInfo is one of most widely used GIS products in China. Moreover, I see some email discussion whether we should have one MapInfo FDO provider in FDO open source community. So I think maybe I can implement one. So I and Aleck made some study and implemented one MapInfo provider prototype based on MITAB. We did it using our spare time. So it is a personal behavior at the beginning. Recently I told PM and Autodesk high-level. They are interested in it and think it makes sense from a business perspective.

So I really think "getting something done now by Autodesk overrides cooperation" isn't true. Maybe it is better to modify it as "getting something done now by Leaf overrides cooperation".

I admit it is better to communicate MITAB developers before I did prototyping. However, I did not do it because of the following reasons.
* The last update date of MITAB homepage is April 21, 2008. It isn't updated for two years. So my impression is that nobody maintains it.
* When I implemented MapInfo provider at the beginning, I play it for fun and don't know whether I can implement it and when I can finish it because I took my spare time to do it. So I don't think it is necessary to communicate with MITAB developers.
* I don't know Daniel Morissette has some changes for read/write access although he said he had been in touch with some people at ADSK interested
in MITAB r/w support 2-3 year ago. If it is introduced in MITAB homepage, I think I definitely will contact Daniel Morissette.
* I also think getting the MITAB changes reviewed and submitted back to the originating SVN depot when I implemented MapInfo FDO provider. I think it isn't late when I have some initial results.

When I wrote RFC, I really don't think it makes sense to mention those information in RFC. Maybe it is the root cause of confusing and misunderstanding.

3. Nobody already makes a decision to fork MITAB.

"your decision to fork MITAB (for those who don't know yet, I am the original MITAB developer). In my opinion, none of the technical reasons expressed in RFC 54 and in the thread earlier this week on this list warrant a fork."

I have to correct the Daniel's statement. In RFC 54, I mention need to MITAB modification and don't mention forking MITAB. I have to clarify that nobody makes a decision to fork MITAB. In my email, I mentioned I prefer to having a separate MITAB. It is my point of view because I want to resolve MITAB issues that I met. However, my preference does not mean that the community cannot have a discussion or input on how to best 'open-source' the code, including the MITAB pieces. FDO project uses RFC process and PSC will vote to decide the final decision.

Finally I want to say I don't think the most important thing is whether we should fork MITAB. The most important is how to resolve MITAB issues that I introduced in my email and RFC. I am completely open for other options if they can resolve those issues.

Hope my explanation can reduce some misunderstanding and confusing.

Thanks,
Leaf Li