[fdo-internals] RE: Create a branch for GDAL 1.9 upgrade

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Jan 5 12:39:51 EST 2012

Hi Greg,

I should be able to isolate the changes to the Thirdparty/gdal directory.  I am not expecting any changes to install image.  However, I will not know this for certain until I have a MapGuide build running with the updated FDO/GDAL 1.9 build.

The other open question relates to "drop in" replacement of our compiled GDAL binaries with a full GDAL distribution.  The complete set of GDAL functionality requires 20+ dlls/shared libs.  Some of these dlls/shared libs have licensing constraints so we cannot distribute them (ECW and MrSID plugins, maybe others).  If we build our GDAL bins in the same way as the GDAL contributors who are already supplying binaries, then drop in replacement should be possible.  Again, I will need a full MapGuide build to evaluate this.

Multithreaded stability is a stretch goal for this upgrade.  MapGuide connection pooling is not currently enabled for GDAL.  Traian did some work on this a couple of years ago and it was not included at that point.  I will be evaluating the patches attached to http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/462 to see if they are still applicable and/or necessary to get the GDAL Provider multi-thread stable within MapGuide.

I think a sandbox would be an appropriate place to put all this together before finally going all in.  It should also give us more transparency into what's changing.

Regards,
Trevor