[fdo-internals] Please review RFC 66

Christine Bao Christine.Bao at autodesk.com
Thu Apr 25 19:14:26 PDT 2013

Hi Greg,

After careful think, I found it's very hard to do the same thing for managed FDO API. I guess you already know this so that's why you bring this question. Thank you.

Let me explain what I understand. Please correct me if any mistake.

Assume I create a managed API for FdoCoordinateSystemTransform, naming mgFdoCoordinateSystemTransform, which implement the function

                virtual FdoIDirectPosition* CoordinateSystemTransform(FdoIDirectPosition* sourceGeometry);

However in FDO managed API, only the native FdoXmlFeatureFlags* GetImpObj() is used, so only the native FdoCoordinateSystemTransform can be used. The override CoordinateSystemTransform(...) function has no chance to get called.

I suggest we ignore this coordinate system transformation function in managed API, because:

1.       It's not mandatory for managed API. It's an optional enhanced function but not must-have. Without it managed FDO API works well.

This function is necessary for MapGuide WFS creation, but we don't have use case for managed FDO yet. If the native FDO cannot make this change, the serialize code have to be copied to MapGuide and they are duplicated.

2.       Managed FDO API has been inconsistent in other functions. For example, XmlFeatureFlags miss the following functions already.

a.       Get/SetDefaultNamespacePrefix

b.      Get/SetGmlIDRelatePropertyNames

c.       Get/SetGmlNameRelatePropertyName

d.      Get/SetGmlDescriptionRelatePropertyName

If you would like to have them fixed, I can log a ticket for that.

Please let me know your decision. I will update RFC later.

Thanks & regards,

Christine