[fdo-internals] SQL (Spatial) Azure

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Wed May 29 06:59:49 PDT 2013

Adding Brent and Orest explicitly for more detailed commentary, if required.

Some initial feedback....

>> * Would a new RFC be required for SQL Azure support or is it a ticket "fix"

[GB] As long as there are no FDO API changes, or changes to the fundamental behavior of any of the SQLServerSpatial commands, then it is a ticket "fix".

>> * Should the embedded SQL code be unified - some of the limitations in SQL Azure require changes that could either be kept as specific to an Azure connection or the existing discovery SQL changed to be the same

[GB] Can we if/else these statements based on internal knowledge of the connection state? Ultimately unified SQL would be my first choice but not if it adds a great deal of uncertainty. We don't have a lot of QA cycles to test the impact of such changes.

>> * At the moment it seems like some of the CreateSchema code is going to be tricky - permissions between master and other databases.  This is not of interest to us, so we are not looking at putting a lot of effort here... does that limit the scope of a submission to getting into trunk

[GB] If you know of cases where it will not work then issuing a clear exception to that effect would be required if such a scenario was encountered at runtime.