[fdo-internals] GDAL and Multithreading

Crispin_at_Linknode crispin.hoult at linknode.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 08:24:44 PDT 2013

Hi,

Last year we sponsored the GDAL quality improvements project (and previously
I specified the direct Oracle - ArcSDE data provider extensions) so we now
have beautifully scaled raster images in mapping.

Our raster maps are primarily used as tiled mapping in our projects and so
the performance hit of the bi-linear interpolation is not always a concern -
however, in both tile-cache creation and dynamic mapping with rasters the
single-thread of the current provider is a bottleneck.

I would be interested in hearing from interested parties (there are a few
usual-suspects who I hope are available) who could scope-up and cost the
project to see if we can fund an RFC.

I am happy to have an open discussion on the forum or private email chat.

 Many thanks for your thoughts - Crispin