[fdo-internals] Unit Test suite instability

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:24:56 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I wanted to double check the unit test results that Greg reported with
regards to the Linux 64-bit build status query I made some time back, just
to see if a 64-bit Linux build of MapGuide Open Source with limited FDO
provider support was feasible in our current timeframe.

I found that my FDO unit test results were drastically different from what
was reported.

To make sure my test results wasn't being tainted by possible existing unit
test failures as false positives, I ran as much of the existing unit tests
against the following platforms to see if we had a solid test foundation:

 * Windows 7 32-bit
 * Windows 7 64-bit
 * CentOS 6.4 32-bit
 * Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit (Tests yet to be run)
 * CentOS 6.4 64-bit (Tests yet to be run)
 * Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (Tests yet to be run)

My unit test results so far have been ... disturbing. So much so that my
initial focus of 64-bit Linux readiness has been diverted to test readiness
of FDO in general.

I've shared a Google Spreadsheet of my current test results so far, with
applicable notes/observations and relevant CppUnit failures listed

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhBgYUE6W7xydEhmQjBIUHpUSzNGMFpLYWE4YmRSWnc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

I'd like some thoughts as to why I could be getting such results (especially
on Windows where I would've expected 100% pass rate). Such widespread
failure in my test runs so far is unsettling.

- Jackie