[fdo-internals] Question about FDOOGRProvider

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:52:37 PDT 2014

When you want to preview a Feature Class or Layer Definition, we need to know
the bounds and coordsys of the feature class so that a suitable preview Map
Definition can be generated that contains the Layer Definition to your
feature class.

If the bounds are not correct (eg. A static spatial context bounds derived
from an improperly tuned spatial index) it will be most apparent in the
preview result.

This is the only area in MapGuide I know of I know that one would need to
know the bounds of a Feature Class.

Before you lay the blame on the OGR provider, could it be the PostGIS OGR
driver is doing an inefficient job? Do you see similar performance
characteristics with other OGR drivers/datasources?

- Jackie