[Fdo-trac] [fdo-trac] #1001: Where possible, the GDAL provider should try to include the result of CPLGetLastErrorMsg() in its exception message before throwing

FDO trac_fdo at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 9 02:13:17 PDT 2022

#1001: Where possible, the GDAL provider should try to include the result of
CPLGetLastErrorMsg() in its exception message before throwing
-----------------------------+----------------------
   Reporter:  jng            |      Owner:  jng
       Type:  defect         |     Status:  assigned
  Component:  GDAL Provider  |    Version:  4.1.0
   Severity:  3              |   Keywords:
External ID:                 |
-----------------------------+----------------------
 This particular post on mapguide-users has revealed some glaring quality
 issues in the error messages that the GDAL provider can throw back to the
 client FDO application:

 https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapguide-
 users/2022-September/034673.html

 In that particular case, the error message is "Fail to get image
 information" (msg id: `GRFP_95_CANNOT_GET_IMAGE_INFO`). This is thrown if
 we fail to obtain a `GDALDatasetH` handle from a `GDALOpen` call.

 In a case like this, we should be able to get more information from
 GDAL/OGR about why this is happening. GDAL/OGR provides a
 `CPLGetLastErrorMsg` function that may provide extra information around
 why the `GDALOpen` call couldn't give us a dataset handle. There are
 possibly other cases where such valuable information is not being
 included.

 We should review the GDAL provider codebase for all cases where a
 `FdoException` is being thrown and see if it is possible/appropriate to
 call `CPLGetLastErrorMsg` and append that information into the exception
 message before throwing
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/ticket/1001>
FDO <http://fdo.osgeo.org/>