[fdo-users] ArcSDE 92

Brad Nesom kidsmake6 at msn.com
Fri Jun 1 09:08:22 EDT 2007

Romica,
  I responded on the list but apparently something changed and it went to
your email address instead of to the list. I will capsulate those two email
here for posterity.

I am in hopes that someone can add support for nvarchar2 to the arcsde
provider(I added a new ticket), as this is an important function for me. I
discovered from esri support that functionality has been changed in 9.2 and
now is described below...

>From esri support
If you use ArcGIS 9.2 to load anything into ArcSDE 9.2, by default, it is
going create all the columns with Unicode Datatypes (denoted with a 'N').
If you do not want your data created with Unicode Datatypes, you need to
place the   UNICODE_STRING FALSE  parameter in your %SDEHOME\etc\dbtune.sde
files' keyword.  You can create a new keyword then specify that keyword each
time you are loading data - this will give you the flexibility of creating
data with or without Unicode Datatypes - depending if you specify the
keyword or not.  Or you can place   UNICODE_STRING FALSE  parameter in your
##DEFAULTS keyword which will ensure that no data will ever be created with
Unicode Datatypes.

Here is an example of a keyword you could create :

##NO_UNICODE
UNICODE_STRING FALSE
UI_TEXT                 "User Interface text for DEFAULTS"
END

	Once you modify the dbtune.sde file, you need to write the changes
to the SDE.DBTUNE table by executing the 'sdedbtune -o import ...' command.

~~~~~~~
EXAMPLE
~~~~~~~
C:\>sdedbtune -o import -f C:\arcgis\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\etc\dbtune.sde -i 5151
-u sde -p sde10g -N

ArcSDE 9.2  for Oracle10g Build 1137 Mon Mar  5 15:52:01  2007
Attribute        Administration Utility
        Successfully imported from file
"C:\arcgis\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\etc\dbtune.sde"

	For more information on the UNICODE_STRING parameter, please ref ere
to the following link :
DBTUNE configuration parameter name-configuration string pairs
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=DBTUNE_configu
ration_parameter_name-configuration_string_pairs&anchor=cplist   >  scroll
down to UNICODE_STRING

An also somewhat related issue (because you will have to update dbtune table
in order to incorporate the Unicode_string false parameter) is another
change in 9.2 see below...
Brad
I hope this information is helpful

>From esri support
regarding sdedbtune -o import command is not updating the keywords that are
removed from the exported dbtune file.
We observed that sdedbtune -o import command is updating the parameters
properly which are newly added in dbtune file. However, if we delete any
parameters or keywords in dbtune file are not reflecting in dbtune table
while importing. For this operation we no need to restart sde service.

This command sdedbtune -o import is working fine in ArcSDE 9.1. However,
starting from ArcSDE 9.2 we need to use different operations with the
sdedbtune command, depending on what you want to change.

Please consider the following:
-------------------------------
Starting at ArcSDE 9.2, if you want to change the value of a parameter that
already exists in the DBTUNE table, use the alter operation.
sdedbtune -o alter -k <configuration keyword> -P <parameter_name> -v
<configuration_string_value> [-i <service>] [-D <database>] -u <user_name>
[-p <password>] [-N] [-q]

To delete one parameter from a parameter group or delete a configuration
keyword and all its parameters, you must use the delete_data operation.
Before deleting a configuration keyword, be sure other users or applications
truly no longer need the keyword, such as an ArcIMS map service.
sdedbtune -o delete_data -k <keyword> [-P <parameter_name>] [-i <service>]
[-s <server_name>][-D <database>] -u <user_name> [-p <password>] [-N] [-q]

To delete one parameter from a configuration keyword, you would specify both
the keyword and the parameter in the command string (provide values for both
-k and -P). To delete a configuration keyword and all the parameters that
are part of that keyword, you only need to specify the keyword in the
command.

Please refer the below web help link for more details.
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?id=2300&pid=2298&topicna
me=The_dbtune_file_and_the_dbtune_table