[fdo-users] Writing managed provider - HowTo

Maksim Sestic max at geoinova.com
Wed Oct 17 10:28:42 EDT 2007

Hi Orest,

I was thinking of using .NET. I'll explain my intentions a bit more in
detail... it's actually about writing FDO provider for Autodesk DWG. I
already did something similar using my own meta-model, but "porting" it to
FDO would be, I guess, interesting thing to see. Autodesk Map 3D currently
lacks support for certain FDO types (e.g. associations, object data
properties) which is truly pitty since DWG, as it is, makes the whole thing
doable.

It's also very challenging at the same time, since I cannot rely on DWG only
as a container to entities. Mechanism should be able to support Cloning and
DeepCloning opreations, even to and from different databases (DWGs), just as
AutoCAD originally does.

Regards,
Maksim Sestic