[fdo-users] Basic FDO questions.

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Thu Apr 3 13:38:23 EDT 2008

[GB2] See inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: fdo-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:fdo-users-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of ssakharov
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:47 AM
To: fdo-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [fdo-users] Basic FDO questions.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
For me, being able to get the layer abstracts, and all meta properties is
essential.  The abstract could probably be easily made as a base property
along side the id and raster?

[GB2] The idea of exposing the Abstract as a new schema property has some merit. I would not be opposed to discussing this further.

>[GB] From an FDO Feature Schema perspective, only the ID and Raster
properties are available. No other >WMS properties will be exposed as schema
properties.

Are there any technical reasons for this?  For me this means sadly i cant
use FDO, for WMS at least.

[GB2] There are no explicit technical reason why additional WMS properties have not been exposed. If you would like to propose changes either to the exposed schema, or additions to the set of custom commands that the provider supports (in addition to the ones we added in FDO 3.3.0) I would be open to discussing those.

But is this a trend on the other providers as well?

>[GB] If you want other meta properties exposed, or WMS server capabilities
exposed, please detail those >properties in detail and I can evaluate. Also,
can you send me the http addresses for the WMS servers >you reference?

The exposed capabilities is adequate, just require access to all the
metaproperties of a layer.

[GB2] When you say metaproperties, the issue becomes a little clouded in my mind. The term is a little ambiguous. Which properties specifically are you looking to access? Can you provide examples? Are these properties common across all WMS servers?

The 2 wms servers i referenced:
http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?
http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py?

Thanks.